Friday, April 24, 2009

Review of Justice League of America # 32 (DC Comics) By Eddie R

Power Plays.

I have to start off this review by saying I am a sucker for updated versions of the characters I have read as a kid. Usually the modern take on some of my favorite heroes and villains has been greeted with mixed results over the years. Either they have been completely redesigned, only leaving the name intact, or they have been played for their nostalgia/ camp value, which I find very awkward.



I also understand how doing this kind of “revival” is a delicate balancing act, cause you want to introduce new fans to an old character who they may never have seen or heard of before, and old fans who remember what the character was, and who might feel alienated with the updated version.

That’s why I was very optimistic as I read the current issue of Justice League of America # 32. The reintroduction of not only one, but two dark themed villains, seems to fit the current tone of change going on in this book.

As it stands, the League is disbanded, or not, depending on whose point of view you’re dealing with. There are lingering questions about power and control: Who has it? Who wants it? Who should have it? And who is able to deal with it? These questions slowly get answered as you read on. I enjoy debates such as this as they allow us, the readers, not only into the inner working of the group itself, but also allow for some great character insight, which is a refreshing change to a drawn out action scene used as filler.

On the action front, rest assured there is plenty to see. The character interaction (Dr. Light’s reaction to Firestorm’s lack of “certain expertise” will have readers either laughing or shaking their heads) and the main action sequence (I will say I did enjoy the carefully planned cameo with a certain group from the Vegan Star system) will not disappoint. The pairing of Starbreaker and Shadow Thief, against Dr. Light, seems very natural in my eyes. Together, all three characters are shown to be more powerful on a cosmic scale, feeding off each other and making those action sequences very satisfying.

All this interaction does build to a cliff hanger, which will leave readers not only in the dark, but wanting to see the light at the end of a very long tunnel.

8/10

Eddie R
Review Editor

No comments: