Monday, April 21, 2008

The Spirit Movie Teaser Trailer

This weekend at New York Comic Con, writer, artist, & now director, Frank Miller, unveiled his trailer to the film version of the classic, yet little known, Will Eisner character, The Spirit.



At this teaser, all I can I say, I'm extremely disappointed.
When I first heard that Frank Miller was directing, I was worried because the way Sin City & 300 were filmed.
While these films are OK, the style is not good for the Spirit.
The Spirit is more light & airy then Miller's darker style.
As I can't fully judge until I see the full trailer, I'm currently extremely unhappy.
And really want to slap around Miller.
Even some of the Spirit's darkest stories, have never been Miller grim.
That cheezy TV movie with Sam Jones was more true to the original material than this.
What really doesn't make sense that in the book "Eisner/Miller", Miller seems to get the Spirit.
I guess not.
I understand we are modernizing the Spirit a little but this is ridiculous.
Miller should have read Darwyn Cooke's run on The Spirit.
Cooke was able to modernize The Spirit without destroying the original material.
But the really sad part is, I'm still going to pay to see this movie.
Will Eisner is turning over in his grave.

No comments: