Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Ty Templeton - 5 Quick Questions

Ty Templeton is a popular Canadian comic book artist and writer who has drawn a number of popular mainstream titles, TV-associated titles and his own series.



Ty first received attention for Stig's Inferno (Vortex Comics), now a cult favorite, which detailed the journey of its lead character into Hell in a parody of Dante's Divine Comedy.

He has gone on to do titles for Marvel Comics, DC Comics including Batman Adventures, The Simpsons for Bongo, and many others. He also created his own graphic novel, Bigg Time, published by DC Comics' mature readers imprint, Vertigo. He is currently editor of an independent Canadian comic company, Mr.Comics and teaching courses at Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto.

He agreed to answer 5 Quick Questions.

1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?

I doubt I could bring it down to one moment or thing I've done. Working with Curt Swan as his inker was an unparalleled thrill when I was younger. Writing/Drawing the Simpsons comics lately is a similar thrill, but what about my issue of the Spirit? Or working on a project with Alan Moore? Or my first Eisner Award? Contributing to Mad Magazine and being told by the editor I'm a member of the gang of idiots? Travelling through Europe with Neal Adams? Hanging out with Jack Kirby in San Diego fifteen years ago, or going to Seaworld with Stan Lee? Helping Dan Slott or Mark Waid with scripting problems? There's no way to pick just ONE!

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?

Oh, wait! I think I answered that in the previous answer. It's probably Curt Swan. He was THE artist for Superman when I was a kid, and it was like "official" Superman work when you're working with the master. Though working with Denny O'Neil is a similar thing, and Denny wrote the SPIRIT issue I drew. Of all my collaborators, I work with Dan Slott the most, so obviously, he's the creator I'm happiest to work with. (By now, Dan and I have done dozens and dozens of things together)

3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?

Right now, I'd love to do a LASER CATS comic, or a King of the Hill comic, simply because no one's done them. Up until about two months ago, I'd never worked with the Star Trek characters, but I'm currently doing JUST that. I've never worked with the original Captain Canuck, at least not officially (though I've consulted on some Capt. Canuck things), and probably would enjoy it.

4) Who are your influences?

Wally Wood. Harvey Kurtzman. Neal Adams. Harvey Kurtzman. Will Elder. Harvey Kurtzman. John Buscema. Harvey Kurtzman. Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Alan Moore, and did I mention Harvey Kurtzman?

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?

If I could change one hero of villain? I'd give Nick Fury back his cigar, and I'd probably un-kill Marvel's "WASP", who died last month, and I already miss her.

No comments: