Monday, May 11, 2009

5 Quick Questions with Brandon Peterson


Brandon Peterson is an American comic book writer and artist. Brandon Peterson is known for his hyper detailed artwork and intricate line work. He is better known for his work on Marvel Comics's Uncanny X-Men and Top Cow's Codename: Strykeforce in the 1990s.

Peterson's early works for Marvel include a New Warriors annual and a fill-in in X-Factor in 1992. Later in the year, he had a short run in Uncanny X-Men, drawing the title's issues of the "X-Cutioner's Song" crossover.

He spent a very long time working for Top Cow Productions, where he did runs on the comics like Codename: Strykeforce, Cyberforce, Ripclaw, Medieval Spawn/Witchblade, and his own book, Arcanum.

He left Marvel once more to become VP of Special Projects and Art Director of the now defunct CrossGen Comics, where he worked on titles like Mystic and Chimera.

He has returned to Marvel for another stint on Ultimate Vision, Ultimate Extinction, Strange, Ultimate X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Magneto Rex, X-Men, and Uncanny X-Men.



He agreed to answer 5 Quick Questions

1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?

Doing pretty much every job in them at some point, from pencils, inks, colors, lettering, editing, managing, production, etc. I have sampled all the courses at the buffet.

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?

I've worked with a lot of greats, but my best memories would have to be when I was at Top Cow Productions in the 90s. I made a lot of friends there, it was a very dynamic time in comics and there especially and I was surrounded by endless talent and enthusiasm. The crew there were just excellent people and creators. I wish I was mature enough back then to realize how special it was.

3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?

Any of the big 3 at DC, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. I just never have timed an opportunity to work there right.

4) Who are your influences?

It's changed over time a lot. I used to look at tons of artists, but at this point in my career I almost make it a point not to get too wrapped up in other's work. I have a tendency to emulate what I like, to the detriment of my own style such as it is. At this point I'm just trying to nail down my own thing.

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?

That's a strange question. If I like a character, I don't want to change it because I like it. If I don't like a character, I don't invest any brainpower in thinking about how I would change it. What's the point? Just make another character the way you want it. In general, I'd like to see less of the antihero themes and a return to some real hero themes. It's gotten to the point that the main characters being good people trying to do good is the exception in comics, and not the rule. It may be edgier the other way, but it's only edgy if everyone else isn't doing as well.


Check out Brandon's site at http://www.brandonpeterson.com/wordpress/

No comments: