Sunday, May 17, 2009

5 Quick Questions with Jay Faerber


Jay Faerber is a writer and comic book creator.

Faerber got his start writing comic books at Marvel and DC Comics in the late 1990s, where he worked on such series as THE TITANS, NEW WARRIORS, GENERATION X, and others.

In 2001, he launched his first creator-owned series, NOBLE CAUSES, which has gone on to garner much critical acclaim.

Since then, Faerber has carved out a niche for himself as a creator of independent comic books such as DODGE'S BULLETS, FIREBIRDS, VENTURE, and the upcoming DYNAMO 5. Faerber currently writes the series NOBLE CAUSES and DYNAMO 5, as well as the mini-series GEMINI. One day, hopes to find (or should that be "make"?) the time to write a mystery novel.



He agreed to answer 5 Quick Questions


1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?

That would probably be Noble Causes, an independent, creator-owned super-hero series that ran for over 8 years in a market that's not particularly receptive to super-heroes not published by Marvel or DC.

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?

There's no way to answer this question without offending all the people I don't name. It's like asking who your favorite sibling is. So I'll just say that I've been ridiculously fortunate in my career to work with a lot of great artists. Sure, there have been some I didn't particularly gel with. But those guys have been the exception, not the rule.

3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?

I can't manage to shake the desire to do something with Marvel's Alpha Flight. That's the first series I collected from the very first issue, so maybe it's simply a sentimental favorite. But I really think there's a lot of life left in the original Alphans.

4) Who are your influences?

In comics, it's guys like Fabian Nicieza, Mark Waid, Marv Wolfman & George Perez, Mike Grell, and John Ostrander. I'm also really influenced by novelists like Robert P. Parker, Robert Crais, and Lee Child, and by screenwriters like David E. Kelley, Stephen J. Cannell, Aaron Sorkin, and Joss Whedon.

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?

I don't think there are any heroes or villains I'd like to change. There may be some I think have been taken too far away from their original concept, and should be changed BACK (like Alpha Flight!). But I can't think of any I'd like to simply change.

Check out Jay's website at http://www.jayfaerber.com.

Catch Dynamo 5 written by Jay and published by Image Comics.

And look for the upcoming Lilandra and Crystal digital comics from Marvel, at http://marvel.com/digitalcomics/

No comments: