Thursday, May 7, 2009

I.M.O. Review: The Flash: Rebirth #2 (DC Comics) By Eddie R.


Keeping the pace.

I must admit I do enjoy a good mystery with a bit of science behind it. I guess that’s why I have always been fond of The Flash. There was always a “Flash Fact” thrown in for good measure now and then, and I always seemed to come out feeling more knowledgeable after I had read the story. For a while, that form of comic book writing seemed to be out of style. But not anymore.

Thanks to the introduction of TV shows like C.S.I., this type of storyline is much more understood and accepted by a broader audience. And what’s great is people now understand the job that goes with it. So seeing Barry Allen at work as a Forensic Scientist, and using those skills he has mastered over the years, in collaboration with his superpowers, goes to show how both writers and the audience have matured.



The Flash: Rebirth #2 manages to keep the pace set in issue one, with the mystery behind the return of Barry Allen growing ever deeper. Along the way, we continue to visit Barry’s past, stopping along the way to show brief moments into our hero’s humble beginnings. We learn more about how Barry met the love of his life, Iris West. We also learn the reason why Barry wore a bow tie. It might seem trivial to some, but I like how this symbol, the bow tie, is something which Barry is saddled with, and not of his own choosing. For me, this seems like a prelude to the whole double identity thing.

As the story continues, we begin to learn the after effects of the recent power surge concerning all the Speedsters. While most of the Speedsters come unharmed from the event, one does suffer a personal loss, and tries to go after those deemed responsible for this crime. As the mystery deepens, Wally West asks his uncle to help him investigate the charred remains of the Flash, found in a field from the first issue. Both events tie into a revelation which has me wondering if there is more to this Black Death than meets the eye?

One can hope that the third issue of this series will be just as revealing as the first two.

8.5/10

Eddie R.
Review Editor.

No comments: