Saturday, June 6, 2009

5 Quick Questions with Ian Churchill



Ian Churchill is a comic book artist who is currently working for DC Comics. His most recent project was Supergirl. Past duties included stints with Uncanny X-Men as well as the Deadpool: Sins of the Past limited series, in addition to a lengthy stay on Cable, the latter gaining him (along with writer Jeph Loeb) fan acclaim. Loeb and Churchill were to later team up to produce Coven and Lionheart for Awesome Comics.

He is also the current artist for the most recent spin-off of the Teen Titans comic series, Titans, (volume 2) which features the New Teen Titans of the Marv Wolfman/George Perez era.




He agreed to answer 5 Quick Question


1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?

I would have to say my greatest achievement in comics was getting hired in the first place! My big break came at a UK Comic Con where Bob Harras ( then EIC of Marvel ) reviewed my portfolio and pretty much hired me on the spot! I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time and now have been working professionally in comics for 17 years.

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?

The first writer I ever worked with professionally was Scott Lobdell. I enjoyed working with him and would like to do so again if the opportunity arose. My favorite writer to work with though has to be Jeph Loeb. We seem to think the same way and that translates to the comic page in a fun and exciting way. I also enjoy working with Richard Starkings who I think is an amazing writer and a sheer force of nature! Best letterer and graphic designer in the business too in my opinion. As far as writers I haven't yet worked with; I'd like to do something with Grant Morrisson and Robert Kirkman.

3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?

I would love to have had the chance to work on Miracleman/Marvelman. I used to have an old Marvelman annual when I was a kid and just loved it but with the way the rights are tangled up at present I guess that's not going to happen any time soon. Another character I used to love as a kid and still do is Captain Britain, If there was ever a chance to work on him with the old red 70's costume I'd jump at it!

4) Who are your influences?

Arthur Rackham, John Romita senior, Arthur Adams, John Byrne, Alan Davis, Michael Golden, Enrique Romero, Jim Lee, Herb Trimpe and the list goes on.....!

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?

The villain that all comicbook creators would like to change......THE DEADLINE!

No comments: