Sunday, June 28, 2009

I.M.O. Review: Justice League of America #34 (DC Comics) By Eddie R



Crisis Averted

Justice league of America #34 is the conclusion to “The Dharma Initiative” storyline.

Finally coming face to face with Starbreaker, the JLA manages to pull itself together long enough in order to take down the Cosmic Vampire. It is during this battle where we learn some interesting background information about Starbreaker: The larval state of his species is apparently what we would call a Sun Eater. And this revelation is what I would call the highlight of this entire story arc.




Another development I would like to point out is the female Dr. Light seems to be cured of her fear of darkness. Now, I have always felt this was kind of an ironic situation. You have someone with complete control over the power of Light, but yet was fearful of what lurked in the shadows. To me, that doesn’t do much for the character. However, I am very happy to see how Dr. Light has evolved during this story arc. She appears to be much stronger and more confident, almost to a point where she could possibly lead the team. But with everything being up in the air at the moment, I have my doubts this would ever come to pass.

As for the conclusion of the story, I have to say it feels weak and over used. A Crisis on Infinite Earths type of merger between two parallel worlds should only be used on a grand scale, not as an afterthought in order to conclude, or explain a badly written storyline. I have a hard time believing Dharma has that kind of power and skill in order to do something like this , which BTW I have only seen one other DC character be able to pull off and make it believable: The Spectre.

I just hope now that since this Crisis has been averted, the next major one will actually bring some concrete results.

6.5/10

Eddie R
Review Co-Editor

No comments: