Saturday, June 27, 2009

I.M.O Review: Mr. Stuffins #3 (BOOM! Studios) By Eddie R



Not just full of fluff.

In this day and age, when everyone is fearful of big brother watching over their shoulder, and the triumphs and pitfalls of technological advancement seem to be in the news every day, it’s not hard to imagine how a simple computerized children’s toy could be turned into a possible weapon. Usually Artificial intelligence is portrayed as being soulless, cold, and very calculating. I am glad to say that Mr. Stuffins #3 by BOOM! Studios show us that anyone can override their basic programming, and become something much more in the end.




Now for a bit of back story: Mr. Stuffins used to be a run-of- the- mill interactive toy teddy bear, until he accidentally gets installed with an experimental artificial intelligence, granting him the abilities of some of the world’s most deadly spies and assassins. Now I bet your wondering what does this A.I. do to Mr. Stuffins exactly? Well, it basically turns him into a kind of furry Dirty Harry. But appearances can be deceiving. I mean yes Mr. Stuffins might be gruff, tough, and an excellent shot, but he pulls it all off while still looking cute. Now that’s my kind of toy.

As the story progresses, Mr. Stuffins soon realizes he needs to protect Zack, the boy who recently bought him from the local toy store, from the bad guys who are on the hunt for Mr. Stuffins , and the missing A.I. disc. Along the way, Mr. Stuffins, Zack, and the rest of Zack’s family discover that they are all much more than what they seem, and what they are truly capable of accomplishing.

What really surprised me about this book was how the A.I had given Mr. Stuffins such a strict moral code. Whether or not this is a by product of the bears original programming merging with the A.I is hard to tell. The scientist who created the A.I mentions at the end of the book how he intended it to be used to help people, and in the end, you can see how much Mr.Stuffins cares for Zack, and vice-versa. This is especially true when Mr. Stuffins goes and sacrifices himself in order to save Zack’s family. But this saving goes much deeper than a simple rescue from the bad guys. I must admit it’s very rare I get emotionally touched by a book, but this one did it to me at the end. And I am glad for it.

This book is one where there is something for everyone to enjoy, making reading the series an experience to be shared, or read as a guilty pleasure. I would have to say I personally fall into the second category.

9/10

On sale July 1st

Eddie R
Review Co- Editor

No comments: