Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Runic Review: The Warlord #3 (DC Comics) By John H.



Let’s pretend.....

My imagination as a child was my favourite toy. Anything could be anything, a stick would become a sword or a magic wand, and a box could be a chariot, castle, tank or even a space ship! I guess that’s why, as an adult, I am such an avid fan of Dungeon & Dragons. With an aptness for role playing, and perhaps a prop or two, I can become anyone…Gods know I have! With my group of fellow gamers, I have played many roles: the wily wizard, a bearded female dwarf barkeep with a thing for elves, even a spiteful, immature god with a chip on his shoulder.




The Warlord #3 was first and foremost, an easy read. But what it really does is allow you to feel like you’re part of the adventure, just like in role-playing. It also leads you into liking the characters, even if you never followed the series from the 70’s & 80’s. The backdrop of the story is set in the sword and sorcery world of Skarteris, where a fighter pilot (why are they always fighter pilots???) crash lands and through turmoil, grief and believing in what he holds true, becomes known as the legendary Warlord. In this latest series, the world of Skarteris is at war with an old enemy: Deimos, a villainous wizard with claims to godhood. What’s great about this story is how it shows the influence of our modern life into the timeless and not so quite serene setting of this mythical realm, along with how the stresses, greed and power of our modern society can corrupt the most innocent of people.

The artwork, something I personally hold most of the time as not quite as important as the story itself, is very complementary in this case. It adds to the overall experience of the book.

Now after reading the first two issues, I must admit I was a bit “meh” about this new series, but Mike Grell has done an incredible job at bringing this storyline together, and making the reader curious about what will happen next.

If you’re like me and you’re into D&D, I would highly recommend reading this series.

8.0/10

John H

No comments: