Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Comic Review: G.I. Joe: Origins #5 (IDW Publishing) by Adam P.



If only the bad guy woulda kept his big mouth shut...

All our old G.I. Joe buddies are here in G.I. Joe: Origins #5: Duke, Hawk, Rock & Roll, Heavy Duty, Stalker, Scarlett, Snake Eyes. They have big guns and spray fire at their enemies as the bullet casings fly into the air. They debate the model of the hand grenade thrown at them. They make funny banter as they're being shot at by their enemies. The bad guys take the time to explain their evil plots to their captives, even making pre-recorded videos to play during the deadly countdown.




Like most kids in the eighties, I was enamoured with G.I. Joe and the plot of this comic resembles something that I would've played out with my young friends in grade school. Bad guys die or get broken bones. The good guys live. There's a clear goal. The enemies are unbelievably loquacious. Unfortunately, it's cliché after cliché in this issue. Now since this is supposed to be recounting the origin of the G.I. Joe squad and is written by G.I. Joe legend Larry Hama, I would expect something much more original and satisfying. As it is, the action is too violent for children and the plot is too childish for adults. But I don't see teenagers relating much to Rambo-style battle clichés and a team of grown men using nicknames to refer to one another.

The most bizarre part of the issue is that the baddies mention Bernard Madoff's ponzi scheme. Madoff was just sentenced to life in prison for his crimes. But then the evil ringleader's plot includes sending an email to investment bankers to tell them how to use sub-prime mortgages to rip people off. Sub-prime mortgages are a major part of what led to the current economic crisis. So it seems that Larry Hama has gotten his wires a little crossed here, or at least isn't explaining the sequence of current events very clearly to the reader.

But this is how the whole issue goes: the writing and art tries to be hyper-realistic with its depiction of weaponry and battle techniques, but then shows adults behaving like a bunch of kids playing cowboys and indians in a schoolyard. The issue is interesting for G.I. Joe fans as a trip down memory lane and will surely pique the curiosity of those who will enjoy the upcoming movie, but is not going to go down as the most sterling example of G.I. Joe comic books.

6.5/10

On sale July 8

Adam P.
Review Co-Editor

No comments: