Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ben Templesmith - 5 Quick Questions

Ben Templesmith is an Australian graphic artist best known for his work in the American comic book industry - most notably Fell with writer Warren Ellis, published by Image Comics, where he helped pioneer a new format for commercial comics, and 30 Days of Night with writer Steve Niles published by IDW Publishing which has since been turned into a major motion picture of the same name. As well as being nominated for multiple Eisner Awards four years in a row for his comic work, 2005-2008 as well as a 2008 International Horror Guild Award for Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse. He has also created book covers, movie posters, trading cards, and concept work for film.

He agreed to answer 5 Quick Questions.

1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?
Getting published and for some strange reason, continuing to have people pick up the books I do. Yes, I still consider that my greatest achievement.

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?
Would have to be Warren Ellis, as I'm not in awe of many people, but grew up on his Transmet...and he still writes some great work so was a complete fanboy time for me to do FELL with him.

3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?
I'm not a huge fan of working on corporate characters that much, or just other people's stuff...but if I had a chance, it' probably be to explore more Mad Max in his world. ( Yes, Mad Max needs to be in comics and I want to draw them! )

4) Who are your influences?
Coffee. Travel to some of the great cities of the world. Childhood book illustrators such as Victor Ambrus, also guys like Ralph Steadman and of course, for comics, Ashley Wood, Mike Mignola, Paul Pope, Jim Lee etc.

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?
Well, I think I speak for most of the human race when I say I would have had Jar-jar Binks garroted at birth. For obvious reasons. But then, I wouldn't have written him in in the first place.

I'd give the Reavers, from the old X-men, their own villain series when they were down in Australia. I'm a sucker for cyborgs.

No comments: