Monday, July 6, 2009

Comic Review: Angel: Not Fade Away #3(IDW Publishing) By John H



Much of the Same…

I have been a fan of the “Whedonverse” for close to twelve years now. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are two of the best shows ever written in my book, and I have followed the iconic character’s journey from the screen, to novels, to comic books, and the thrill is still there. And with every issue I cannot wait to find out what is going to happen next.




Angel: Not Fade Away#3 is a recap of the awesome fifth season series finale by the same name. Beautifully drawn, the images add a depth and feeling to the story that live actors couldn’t. These frozen images bestow an almost serene like feel to the violent end of Wesley’s magic slinging. The story somehow feels more real when read like this. As the story unfolds panel by panel, it doesn’t feel rushed, and you get to sense the hopelessness of their situation in a much more surreal way. The look on their individual faces as they scan the innumerable demon horde is both priceless and poignant.

It was great to see this story again in a different format, but then again it could have been a bit better. I felt like there was a lack of initiative to showcase the same scenes from different angles, perhaps showing what happens to some of the characters when they went off screen. Possibly they might have shown scenes from the perspective of the Senior Partners, or from some of the villain’s point of view, or even other inhabitants of the “Whedonverse”. Overall it was not bad recap of past events, but I just feel the writers could have done more with it.

7.5/10

On sale July 8th

John H

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I have been watching all my Buffys on DVD lately. I started from the beginning and now I'm on disc 2 of the 7th season. I forgot how clever, smart and exciting this show was. I am now regretting that I sold all my Angel DVDs online a few years ago.

LAH