Monday, July 13, 2009

So I Married A Fanboy - My Marriage To A Comic Collector



You’d never know it by looking at me but, I’m married to a comic book geek.


All those years ago, when I met my husband, I thought “How cute, he reads comic books.” I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. We were in college, so I did not know the amount of issues his collection entailed.

He was smart by introducing me to his passion in small doses. I’d see a book here or there and he would play them off as a casual pastime. I did not realize the full extent of his love of comics until we had been together for a few months. I went to his house to meet his parents and his collection.

I had never seen anything like it in my life. In his parents’ basement were boxes and boxes of comics. He would leave me alone so that he could search through the “stacks” for what he wanted to read. It was then that I realized that I was in love with a comic book geek.

It definitely evolved from there. He would take me to the comic shop and occasionally, I would be enlisted to pick up his weekly stash. (I have to admit, at times that was scary, some of the guys in the stores would act as if they’d never seen a girl before). One thing was for sure, I never had trouble getting help there.

I have and will continue to go to comic book conventions with him (please remember to shower and use deodorant if you go). He tries to “pimp” me out, encouraging me to wear makeup when I go. Artists and writers have introduced themselves to me and I have been the go between when my husband has been too shy to talk to people himself.

And don’t tell anybody, I’ve read a few titles myself…..

No comments: